Assuming you are using CXF 2.1.x (and not 2.0.x), the easiest thing to do is
to add an @XmlSeeAlso(SpecialPerson.class) annotation to the interface.
That allows the JAXB runtime to see the subclass so you'll get it properly
written out (with the xsi:type) and can then be properly read as well.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]