Vincent Bray wrote on Fri 14 Sep 2007 07:39:17 AM EDT:
but when I try "sudo apachectl start", I get no httpd processes, and
this message in my error log:

        "[emerg] (14)Bad address: Couldn't set permissions on
        cross-process lock; check User and Group directives"

The default User and Group directives use daemon. I tried creating my
own user account and plugging in that user/group in place of daemon,
but I get the same result.

I've never seen this error message before. Grepping the code shows
that it's related to an inability to create the accept lock. As a
guess then, does changing the value of AcceptMutex make any
difference?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#acceptmutex

Adding "AcceptMutex flock" to httpd.conf did the trick. The default AcceptMutex is apparently sysvsem (I can actually get the debugging output in the error log now that httpd starts!), but that and pthread both fail.

flock, fcntl and posixsem all work fine.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

zak.