ab is a "basic" tool. Sometimes it's not able to complete the bench when the
number (or/and the  concurrency) of requests is too high.
what is excatly your "timeout" message ?
Are you sure that your underlaying application server is not overloaded ?

httperf (from HP)  is also basic but a bit more evolued.

You can use Jmeter to test your Webservice. If you want to obtain 10000
req/s with Jmeter you will have to use several Jmeter instances on several
servers.

--
Bj