Thanks so much Danie!

I think the problem was the fact that I was not using double quotes
for my path in the <Directory> Tag.  I saw your earlier post - noticed you had
them,
added them in, and set the path again to the script aliased path and it worked
fine.

I was able to get it working with this simple tag:

<Directory "usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin">AuthName "MembersOnly"AuthType
BasicAuthUserFile "/home/userdir/htpasswd"Require user coderAllowOverride
AuthConfig</Directory>

I had a hunch it was something simple.  Thanks so much!

I just setup awstats a few weeks ago and this setting works for me in the
<VirtualHost>:

        Alias /awstatsclasses "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/classes/"
Alias /awstatscss "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/css/"        Alias /icon
"/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon/"        ScriptAlias /awstats/
"/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/"        #        # This is to permit URL
access to scripts/files in AWStats directory.        #        <Directory
"/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">        Options None        AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny        Allow from all        </Directory>

        <Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin">        AuthUserFile
"/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/mypasswordfile"        AuthName "Awstats"
AuthType Basic        <Limit GET POST>                require valid-user
</Limit>        Options None        AllowOverride AuthConfig        Order
deny,allow        deny from all        allow from 216.130.212        allow from
216.130.209        allow from 216.130.213        Satisfy any
</Directory>skill meets World Series. Get in the game.
http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL