----- Original Message ----- From: "Joshua Slive" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>; "Danie Qian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] .htaccess for script aliased directories

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Danie Qian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 On second thought, I tested the setting by commentting out the 'require
valid-user' line completely to see what the browsor gets for other methods,
 it is actually a 403 forbidden error instead of a open 200. So i guess I
was fine with the <limit>GET POST</limit> lines - it only triggers a login
prompt for GET & POST while leaving the others forbidden. Am I wrong?

You may or may not create an immediate security problem by using
<Limit>. But regardless, it is a bad idea. It could easily open a
security hole in the future if you ever change the configuration of
the content behind the restriction. And why use a complex config, when
the simple one is better and more secure?

I completely agree with you in a general sense