1) Check the error log. When apache disables a worker it will log why. This will probably tell you what's going on. 2) It's possible Apache is disabling it because either it's not ready when it first tries (i.e. maybe it's starting up) or because it took too long to return a request. In this case, check your timeout settings and make sure it's not just taking too long.