On 2022-09-26 16:09, Lex Trotman wrote:
  Why not one, big menu with everything on it?  Catagorized
of course, and even 'jump to section' buttons, but you can still see
everything on one page.
... or because certain ways of expecting a GUI to work have become
almost hardwired into us.  That's what I'm saying.
1. It probably wouldn't fit on computers with small screens,
No, but so what?  One can scroll.  Here's an example of getting it perfect:  Preferences > Keybindings.  You could hide that under a few more layers of sub-menus but you don't, it's right there AND *all* the keybindings are there on one page.  You have sub-categories of course, but I DON'T have to click on tabs to open a sub-category, I can scroll up and down the list of keybindings exploring various sub-categories as I please.  Supposing that paradigm was expanded to other parts of 'Preferences'?  Bill Gates won't like it, but ....

For example: Preferences > General ... why the two tabs, Startup and Miscellaneous (Which itself has a Miscellaneous sub-category)? Forget the tabs, just throw it all onto one page to save us from having to make so many clicks hunting for stuff -- just show it to us.  Microsoft was and is wrong:  making many choices among few options is not better than making fewer choices among more options. If Preferences are to be broken down into sub-pages, then each sub-page should be 'complete' -- no sub-sub-sub pages -- and the breakdown of Preferences itself should be only on the most robust, and intuitive of categories so that one never has to go on an Easter Egg hunt looking for things.  Pretty isn't better, simple is better.  The worst is Firefox, their .... nevermind :-)