When you create a pod directly as a cluster admin, you have permission
to run as any user.  So the check allows you to create that process.
When you run under a replication controller, permission has to be
delegated to ensure that the controller (which is acting on your
behalf) can create a pod that runs that way.  The service account is
what is delegated.