I created two pods.... started the first, obtained its IP, then manually
added it to the Dockerfile of the second pod:

ENV CASSANDRA_CLUSTER_NAME=avesterra \
    CASSANDRA_SEEDS=10.1.0.85

Now deploying this second pod seems to actually work...

So, how do I refer to the the IP of another pod, in my Dockerfile? I tried
simply using the "name" of the other pod... as I understand this should
resolve via the dynamic DNS to the correct pod... but the name does not
seem to resolve at all....

cassandra@cassandra-1-8fjph:/$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 172.30.0.1
nameserver 141.161.100.201
nameserver 141.161.200.201
search aversterra-server.svc.cluster.local svc.cluster.local cluster.local
uis.georgetown.edu georgetown.edu
options ndots:5

cassandra@cassandra-1-8fjph:/$ host cassandra-seeder
Host cassandra-seeder not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
cassandra@cassandra-1-8fjph:/$