I report to the community my experience, hopefully the manual will get
fixed accordingly.

The 'docker-novolume-plugin' seems a recommended best-practices in the
manual
https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.9/install_config/install/host_preparation.html#blocking-local-volume-usage

actually when I've installed my Origin 3.9 cluster on AWS I've skipped this
recommendation and I've installed both Heketi & Glusterfs

but as soon as I've enabled it on my docker daemons I've got these critical
errors:

####################################
Error: failed to start container "heketi": Error response from daemon:
authorization denied by plugin docker-novolume-plugin: volumes are not
allowed
Error: failed to start container "glusterfs": Error response from daemon:
authorization denied by plugin docker-novolume-plugin: volumes are not
allowed

In order to get back my Heketi & Glusterfs setup I've been forced to
dismiss this option; maybe it was obvious but honestly I didn't get it from
the manual.

kind regards,
Fabio Martinelli