> What I would expect is that maven builds quality first and then includes
> it as an extension into the build for mycomponent. This does not work

You are correct -- this won't work. This is similar to when you have a
module which is a plugin, and then you want to use that plugin later
in your build. You must build and install the plugin in one execution
of Maven, and then you can use it in a subsequent Maven execution.

This may or may not change in M3, I'm honestly unsure right now. You
should give the latest M3 binaries a try to see what happens.

Wayne