Hello,

I recently discovered some confusing Maven behavior related to snapshots. I'm
not sure whether this is expected behavior of Maven or Artifactory
or a bug in one of them.

Setup:

- Maven 2.2.1
- Artifactory 2.2.5
- Artifactory snapshot repo is libs-snapshots-local.
  Maven Snapshot Version Behavior set to "non-unique".

My project consists of multiple components.  componentA produces artifact
core-0.83.2-SNAPSHOT.jar. componentB
has a dependency on this snapshot artifact. Our CI server builds the project
and deploys the snapshot artifacts
to Artifactory. Since we want to ensure that we build against the latest
snapshot artifacts, we add the '-U' command-line argument.
The snapshot updatePolicy in the parent POM is set to 'never.'

The behavior that concerns me is that snapshot artifacts with timestamps in the
name are building up in the local
repo on the CI machine. After a few build/deploy cycles, I see the snapshot
artifacts named as I would expect,
but also copies of those artifacts with SNAPSHOT replaced by a time stamp.

For example, in the local repo right now I have:

core-0.83.2-20101026.145529-2.jar
core-0.83.2-20101026.163520-2.jar
core-0.83.2-20101027.194945-2.jar <--- latest
core-0.83.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

The latest jar and the SNAPSHOT jar are identical. There are actually more
artifacts than shown above and this pattern is repeated for each of them.

Could someone explain to me why this is happening and whether there is
something I can do about it?

Thanks.

-brian