> One thing that also caught me off guard is it appears that I have to
> reference the clienta-war and clientb-war as modules in my main project
> pom.  Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. If a project is not a module (directly as
children or as grandchildren etc) of the project you are executing
Maven from, then Maven does not "see" it as far as this specific build
is concerned and will not build it.

> Well this data is essentially a directory of jasper files.  The same group
> of files is used in several modules.  How do you install a directory of
> files as an artifact?

It sounds like they are essentially static resources that simply must
be bundled into one or more war files. First I would make sure there
is no possibility to just include them in your war in a jar file and
tell JasperReports to find them in my classpath, then use a regular
<dependency> to include them in my wars where I need to use them.
Otherwise I would probably just stick them into their own project (a
"jar" type alongside the "lib" module I suggested before) and then use
dependency:unpack to put them where I need them in the various wars.

Wayne