> Long story short, I tried to modify eclipse project generation so that
> in the .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs instead of this:
>     org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.compliance=1.5
> I get this (look at the compliance):
>     org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.compliance=1.6
> but didn't find a way to configure maven-eclipse-plugin.

Most likely you are the first person to want this specific
configuration of the plugin, thus it does not currently exist. You'll
probably need to scratch your own itch.

Pull down the source code for maven-eclipse-plugin, tweak it somehow
to add this feature, and contribute the code back for (possible)
inclusion in a future release.

Here's a hint: you're going to want to adjust EclipseSettingsWriter
and probably some Eclipse plugin Mojo code too since this should be an
extra configuration item in the plugin...
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/xref/org/apache/maven/plugin/eclipse/writers/workspace/EclipseSettingsWriter.html

Wayne