On 23/01/2013 4:48 PM, Toolforger wrote:
Am 23.01.2013 21:08, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
You are probably over-automating things at this point.

I would suggest getting your maven builds running, go through a full
release cycle and then look for ways to improve.
A good thing to remember is:
Thousands of products have been built with Maven; it is unlikely that
you want to do something so unusual that no one has done it before.

Heh.
I know I'm an envelope pusher and have the battle scars to prove it.
So you're about number five or six giving me that speech - I tend to get it every three to five years. Somehow, following recipes doesn't quite work for me. Tools break at me if I do that, so I have learned to always push the envelope and hammer at the concepts until I grok them. There's always chips flying where I hammer - my mind or the concepts, sometimes both.

Not a bad thing to be a bit bold.:-)
So while I can understand why you gave that speech, and have given it myself on occasion, I tend to ignore such speeches :-)
You are not the first.
It does tend to create a lot of traffic here until the person gets their basic Maven processes under control and develops their own roadmap for optimization.

http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=84 is an overview of how we
handle software development.

Does not apply to my situation, which his that I'm importing jars from an external project that I have no control over.
I did not expect that it would fit exactly but I did want to show one line of thinking about versioning of artifacts.

We do import jars as well.
Ours came from external projects that had licensing reasons for not pushing their artifacts to Maven Central.

Also, does not apply to what I'm asking, which is: "I have multiple jars from an SVN repository, how do I put the jars from a consistent set each to its own Maven coordinate?"

You manually put the jars in your Maven repo through its manual upload procedure with some version number (nice if it relates to the version that the authors gave them) and reference them as dependencies.
Maven does not really deal with SVN as a jar source.

Ron
Regards,
Jo

Ron Wheeler