Hi,

my project has transitive dependencies on both asm 1.5.3 (from cglib 2.1_2, which I fixed locally, see [1]) and 1.4.3 (from hibernate 3.0.5). The one that ends up in my war is 1.4.3, which unfortunately seems to be incompatible with something else I'm using [2].

From reading [3], I thought I could force m2 to use asm 1.5.3 by listing it as a direct dependency of my project, but that doesn't work. m2 -X reveals that both jars get selected, but then 1.5.3 gets removed (removed - nearer found: 1.4.3). What does the "nearer found" actually mean? Nearer to what?

For now, I can tweak the hibernate POM in my local repository, but I'm wondering what a better solution to the general problem could look like.

Cheers,
-Ralph.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-66
[2] java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.objectweb.asm.ClassVisitor.visit (IILjava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/ String;)V
[3] http://maven.apache.org/maven2/dependency-mechanism.html