Hi,

I have happily used maven 1.0 and trying to switch to M2 mainly because I want
to work with modules. But I have some difficulties to understand how it is
supposed to work.

I have tried the following:

mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=org.trial -DartifactId=test
cd test
mvn jar:jar

and I get
[WARNING] JAR will be empty - no content was marked for inclusion!
and the jar effectively does not contain the class files.

But if I do:
mvn compiler:compile jar:jar

The jar contains the expected class files.

Isn't supposed the jar:jar execute the precious phases (that is compile) before
making the jar?

Furthermore in any case the resulting jar contains the following:
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
META-INF/maven/
META-INF/maven/org.trial/
META-INF/maven/org.trial/test/
META-INF/maven/org.trial/test/pom.xml
META-INF/maven/org.trial/test/pom.properties

What is the purpose of these pom.xml and pom.properties in the resulting jar?
They contain information about my working directory which is of no use for a
released jar and I even don't see where they come from. They seem to be
magically generated by maven.

Another mystery:
If I do

mvn deploy:deploy

I get:
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The packaging for this project did not assign a file to the build
artifact

but it if I do:
mvn compiler:compile jar:jar deploy:deploy

It works fine (excepted for the added META-INF mentioned above).

Also:
m2 deploy
works fine too. However I get the message: THE m2 COMMMAND IS DEPRECATED -
PLEASE RUN mvn INSTEAD

but if I use
m2 jar:jar
I get the same result than with `mvn jar:jar` (compile phase is skipped).

Did I miss something?

If I remember, maven 1.0 was more consistent and worked fine out of the box.

Thanks.

Oscar