We have several different mechanisms running - but most of them are
honestly manual. The automated solution that one of our teams have come
up and and stuck with is the following:

1) set up a multi-module maven2 project, with one of those modules being
a functional test suite, another the WAR that we're pushing and banging
on.
2) using cargo, we deploy the WAR produced to an instance of Tomcat
running on an available and preset QA machine.
3) We invoke the functional tests (primarily httpunit stuff) locally.

The "how to" for the separate functional test module setup was on this
earlier - the big pieces to note being that the functional test module
is set with POM packaging, and then plugins manually bound to the
various steps (in this case, the maven-surefire-plugin bound to the
integration-test phase and the cargo plugin bound to the
"pre-integration-test" phase)

We've additionally set it up so that functional tests are only included
with a specific profile (originally named "functional-tests") so that
your personal builds will invoke them only when desired.

Anything much more complex than this, and I think we'd need to reach out
of maven with a custom AntTask bound in there to do setup/teardown kinds
of work.

-joe