>>What command are you using to deploy?
mvn deploy

>>distributionManagement section of your pom look like
   <distributionManagement>
       <repository>
           <id>my-public</id>
           <url>dav:http://host:8080/archiva/repository/pub/</url>
       </repository>
       <snapshotRepository>
           <id>my-snapshot</id>
           <url>dav:http://host:8080/archiva/repository/snapshot/</url>
       </snapshotRepository>
   </distributionManagement>

>>granted the repository manager role for the repo you're trying to deploy to
yes.
the user 'deployer' has roles "Repository Manager - snapshot", "Repository Manager - pub", ...

>>How have you configured credentials in settings.xml
yes.
   <server>
           <id>my-public</id>
           <username>deployer</username>
           <password>...</password>
       </server>
   <server>
           <id>my-snapshot</id>
           <username>deployer</username>
           <password>...</password>
       </server>

>>click on 'Permalink (Message view)'
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-archiva-users/200801.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

this can be a tomcat related problem. I'm getting google hits on that error message, but nothing that really nails down the problem.
any light on this problem is appreciated

   /jens