Hi!

The maven repositories, like those mentioned below, are sure a great thing and massively useful. However, so far I found no way to search these repositories on line.

These are the repositories I'd like to search, at the very least:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
http://repository.codehaus.org/
http://download.java.net/maven/2/
http://download.java.net/maven/1/

The maven homepage has this nice link to archiva, but so far I found no public archiva instance, and a private instance only seems to index mirrored artifacts.

What I would really love would be some way to search the repositories for artifacts if you have an idea what they should do, but don't know the groupId and artifactId. I would want to search at least the artifactId, name and description fields of the POM, as well as filter for maven plugins (maven-*-plugin and *-maven-plugin).

If this were done in some central location, such that file transfers are fast and access to the repositories is done only once for each artifact, then indexing the artifact contents would be great as well, so that you can search for artifacts containing a given class name or META-INF file. This could be used to find artifacts for third party projects with unclear group name, but also service provider interfaces for some service, in order to e.g. list all image writers.

Is there some such public artifact search engine?
If not, is there anybody willing to host one?
How about people willing to help me write one?

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern