It would certainly be nice if Oracle would copy similar moves by Sun,
JBoss, etc and make their own repository where they could host various
artifacts such as these. (Assuming of course their own licensing etc
would permit such an approach.)

Of course, Sun and JBoss are just hosting open source jars (CDDL and
GPL etc), so it is probably not worth holding your breath waiting for
Oracle to do this, considering it seems unlikely that they will open
source the Oracle driver jars any time soon. (Although in my opinion
this seems like a very reasonable thing to do, but what do I know...)

Wayne