Niranjan Deshpande schrieb:
>  In POM we have a version number of the project as
>
> <version>1.4</version>
>
> Instead of hardcoding it each time I take a new build, I would like to
> replace it with the one entered by the user when he takes a buld using
> maven. I want the user to enter the version number, which will be used
> placed in maven's pom.xml and then used by Maven. So this is like modifying
> the pom dynamically.

Ecch. Why on earth would you want to do that?

Are you aware that snapshots can have a date suffix (in fact, it's the
default)?
> I was thinking to call a ant task (which in turn calls a shell script asking
> for the user to enter the version number) from within the pom when the user
> executes the *mvn install* command.
>
> Is all this possible with the approach above? How do I call a ant task that
> runs BEFORE maven proceeds for all other stuff.

You can't do it within maven. You would have to run ant to do this,
*then* run maven.

Again, the question is: why would you want to do this?
> Similar to a constructor that is executed when you create a java object, i
> want this task to be run.
>
> Please help.
>
> One more thing: When you execute mvn install, Maven looks for java classes
> in this default directory for the compile phase
> <project_home>/src/main/java/com/<java_files>
> test phase      <project_home>/src/test/java/com/<java_files>
>
> How do I override this directory structure, and make maven look for the java
> classes in the place that I decide.

I recommend reading the pom documentation. It shows all the possible
configuration available with maven:
  http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-model/maven.html
See "sourceDirectory".

But maven has its built-in conventions for a good reason. You should
think seriously about doing things the Maven way, rather than
reconfiguring maven to work your way.

Regards,
Simon