If you use Sysdeo's Eclipse Tomcat Launcher plugin (
http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html) and its devloader, you can
point to src/main/webapp for context, pick up the class files from
target/classes and the libraries from your local m2 repo directories. It's
both faster and more reliable than Eclipse WTP's built-in container support.
There's also http://merve.sourceforge.net/, which offers less options than
Sysdeo's but is more automatic. Similarly for Jetty you can use
run-jetty-run (http://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/). I never create a
war while developing a webapp and I even try to avoid container restarts
(several solutions exist for hot-code swapping depending on your web
framework and platform).

Kalle