After seeing the announcement of the new version of the Maven Resources Plugin I naively thought I could simply do "mvn --update-plugins", but that didn't do anything, other than give me an error from not having a pom.xml in the directory I was in (and then it simply rebuilt my project when I chdir'd to to a directory with one).

So next I removed the Resources Plugin directory in my ~/.m2 local repository and ran "mvn package" and that downloaded the plugin, but version 2.2.

Is it documented somewhere if or when maven updates its plugins?