It isn't so much that it happens in 8.2 also but that once the dev build edits the frame.form file, whether it was created with 8.2 or the dev build then running the project from 8.2 or the dev build will fail to render fonts in buttons or labels.  Both designers will render properly and preview properly but the app will not render the widgets properly when run.

All I need to do is make any slight edit to the GUI with 8.2 and it will run properly from both. The edit can be trivial; adding a label or button, deleting a label or button or just add a letter to a label, maybe even a resize, haven't tried yet, I think just touching it with 8.2 will do it and the opposite is true for the dev build.

There are subtle differences in the frame.form file after editing with each install but nothing that jumped out at me, though not that familiar with them. I will look further.

And, so that someone can reproduce it, can you provide an issue and steps?
I can, though I never have. I'll try to do that over this weekend.

In the meantime, this is on Ubuntu 14.04.  The about dialog from 8.2 displays:

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 8.2 (Build 201705191307)
Updates: NetBeans IDE is updated to version NetBeans 8.2 Patch 2
Java: 1.8.0_92; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.92-b14
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_92-b14
System: Linux version 3.13.0-139-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
User directory: /home/markw/.netbeans/8.2
Cache directory: /home/markw/.cache/netbeans/8.2

The about dialog from the dev build displays:

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 20180111-unknown-revn)
Java: 9.0.1; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9.0.1+11
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9.0.1+11
System: Linux version 3.13.0-139-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
User directory: /home/markw/.netbeans/dev
Cache directory: /home/markw/.cache/netbeans/dev