Thanks Geertjan :)

I've made the repo public for the moment, in case anyone wants to take a
look:
https://bitbucket.org/peedeeboy/odyssey-engine-netbeans-solution/src/development/
I can try and knock together a simple application for Q1) if anyone is
interested in helping.  It seems like I'm missing something obvious in the
way NBP is designed.

Re: Q4, always opening a file in a specific encoding, I think I've figured
that part out:

* Extend FileEncodingQueryImplementation and override the getEncoding()
method to return the Charset of choice (windows-1252)
* Register this in the DataObject's lookup.  I'm using this in the DO
constructor:
CookieSet cookies = getCookieSet();
        cookies.assign(FileEncodingQueryImplementation.class,
                new NssFileEncodingQueryImplementation());

Not sure about forcing windows line endings yet, but I'll keep trying...