Apache NetBeans has support for reading multi-release JARs. They can appear
on the classpath (modulepath) and the correct types are used, though note
there is (currently) no support for creating them.

Below is where the reading of multi-release JARs is implemented:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/java/java.source.base/src/org/netbeans/modules/java/source/parsing/CachingFileManager.java

Gj