I tried in Virtualbox / Ubuntu and it starts using the generated script
with default settings (no need to edit netbeans.conf).

Note:

There is a syntax error (quotes not closed) in the generated netbeans. conf:
#
# Cachedir must be different from userdir. The same cachedir and userdir
# would cause problems.
#

default_userdir="${DEFAULT_USERDIR_ROOT}/dev"
default_cachedir=""${DEFAULT_CACHEDIR_ROOT}/dev"

Regards
Helmut