Hi Tommy,

I work mostly on Windows too. As others have said, Netbeans editor
doesn't change the line endings. On Windows, if you create a file from
scratch, then Netbeans will use the platform's line-endings, but if
you edit an existing file the line endings style will be preserved.
Side note: There are other tools which do screw this up, but nothing
to do with Netbeans. For example, lately I noticed that the
maven-release-plugin would change the line endings when it rewrites
the pom file. Arghh!

Anyway, I suggest that your project *settle* on a convention for line
endings (either Windows style or Unix style) and then let Git
*enforce* that via the .gitattributes file in the project itself. This
way, there is simply no way that any of you in the project can commit
a file where line endings have been changed inadvertently. Look at
Netbeans project itself for an example of this:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/.gitattributes

With this trick it doesn't matter if a user is on Windows, Linux or on
Mac and it doesn't matter what each user's global Git settings look
like. All the talk about what each user's autocrlf setting, safecrlf
setting, etc, is, becomes redundant. The downside of this trick is
that you have to define each text file type explicitly but in most
projects that is not hard. (they are .java, .xml, .css and so on).

I would of course suggest to use the Unix style for any project.

Hint: When in doubt, I bring up the file in Notepad++. It will always
show the current style of the file and also allows to change it with a
single click. See screenshot for example. I wish Netbeans editor had
similar feature.

/Lars

(Btw: I notice a slight spelling error in the Netbeans project's
.gitattributes file,  test --> text, which has gone unnoticed for
years. :-). I'll need to do a PR on that while I remember)