More information on this. When I open the .java file in a text editor, the
editor-fold lines have extra information

  // <editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc="Generated
Code">//GEN-BEGIN:initComponents
and
  } // </editor-fold>//GEN-END:initComponents

But these don't appear when I look at the file in NetBeans. I've done the same
for a very simple project which I started from scratch and the same happens.

Is the editor performing some sort of censorship on auto-generated comments? It
doesn't make looking for problems any easier. Or is it a bug, in which case
I'll report it?

But I still can't develop my project until I can sort this. I'm attaching the
error that I get in case it helps.

Does anyone know exactly what the GUI editor is looking for, so that I can edit
the file to satisfy it? Various attempts by me to try that have all failed.