Marc DVer wrote:
Lately I have seen alot of emails from people who don't bother to subscribe to this list, yet expect help from us. I was wondering if the mailing list system could be modified such that if someone tries to mail the list then they would get a message saying they have to subscribe. In addition, once they subscribe their message would be posted automatically. Of course, there would need to be provisions made to prevent someone from getting spammed by someone faking a From: Header. Possibly such messages could be limited to one every 24 hours.

Sincerely,
Marc DVer

As I understand it, these are coming off an e-mail link on the OOo website. It's understandable really that someone might want to simply ask a question and get an answer to that particular question without subscribing to the mailing list -- and then getting 50 - 100 emails a day, most of which have nothing to do with their particular difficulty. The other alternative, which I prefer, is to subscribe to the newsgroup on gmane. There's something less demanding about that than having your inbox clogged up.

In any case, what I think would be ideal is for the questions that come in via the website that a mechanism could be set up where the system would automatically forward answers to that OP's mail address. It should be limited to only that thread.

That way respondents wouldn't need to CC the OP, yet the the OP wouldn't need to subscribe if they didn't want to. The first response should be an automatic boilerplate explaining all the options for getting help; FAQ's, user guides, mailing lists, gmane, etc., that they should expect to see some emails hopefully addressing their issue, and that the responses will be from volunteers and not a paid help desk.

Comments?

Rod