I believe (someone on the list may correct me) that the linux
downloads are either .rpm or .deb... However, as you may know, this
does not limit (to redhat/fedora or debian) the flavour of linux that
these files can be installed onto. The.rpm and .deb package formats
are supported by a variety of different linux's - for instance the
Xandros OS does allow rpm and deb installs.

As to building OOo from source - you'd have to be keen. Here is a link
to the instructions :
http://tools.openoffice.org/dev_docs/build_linux_1.1.x.html

As to building/compiling any .src files. Generally any open source
project will provide some level of instructions for those that wish to
compile the application themselves. Typically the steps outlined in
the above document can be applied to compiling any application from
source.  If you really want to give it a go, I would suggest you
simply pick an application and try it out - nothing to loose but a
whole lot of learning to gain.  There are usually forums like this for
questions that you may have.

Reply to the list if you have any issues... HTH,

/paul