James Knott wrote:
> John Boyle wrote:
>> M Henri Day wrote:

>>> Mike, on the relevant AVG webpage, prospective users are informed that
>>> neither AVG Free nor AVG Anti-Virus Pro (at € 34.49 per annum)
>>> provide a
>>> firewall. One is, however, provided by AVG Internet Security, which
>>> costs €
>>> 51.74 per annum....
>>>
>>> Henri
>>>
>> To All: If you are using Linux, what firewall is recommended, since
>> AVG is, as far as I know, not available for Linux? Secondly, Windows
>> has a firewall of its own, thirdly, there is a pretty good one called
>> Escan from MWTI.com, which is NOT free, but pretty reasonable. :-)
>>

> Linux has a firewall built into the kernel, unlike Windows, where it's
> an add on.  This makes it much more secure.

Make your own 'OpenNetFilter (ONF)" Firewall for free. It is the best on
the market, already in all modern Linux distros' kernels.

Here is a HowTo: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/18139.html

It also has a complete script that can be adapted for most needs.

I made one and it is not that hard to understand. You just write all the
rules into a rules.sh file and execute it with "./rules.sh"
 to write it into the kernel tables.

:-)
Al