On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 09:09 +0100, Herbert Eppel wrote:
> I know I can search for paragraph markers via $ with regular expression
> ticked (this doesn't appear to be in the Help, I found in my message
> archive for this list), but how can I replace paragraph markers with tabs?
>
> Tabs are listed under Attributes in the Find & Replace window, but the
> Attributes button is greyed out for "Replace with".
>
> Thank you.
>
> Herbert Eppel

Odd?  You are right that Help is a bit vague on the use of $. Those of
us with some experience with Regular Expressions recognize how to use $
from the Help example. This is why there's an explicit explanation in
the User Guide. ( See
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/OOo1.x.x/user_guide.pdf  or
its companions)

Now to get to your problem, the replace with should not be disabled. So
do the following:
     1. Open Find/Replace
     2. Select the block of text that needs changing
     3. Checkmark Regex box
     4. Checkmark Current Selection
     5. Enter $ (paragraph break) in Find field
     6. Enter \t in Replace field
     7. Check if Replace button is greyed out
     8. If (7) is greyed out, run Repair
     9. If (7) is not greyed out, click it and see if it does what you
        want.

Enable View > Non-printing characters so you can see them.

If none of this works I would recommend a re-install.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead