Steven Kopischke wrote:

jomali wrote:
I don't know that this is unique to OOo, since that's the way Excel (2000)
works as well. I just tried it to refresh my memory, since I rarely use
Excel anymore. However, in Excel, if you try to drag & drop a column, you get a warning about replacing the data in the target column. In Calc, there is no warning. The moved column's data silently replaces the old column's
data, leaving a blank column behind.

The drag and drop experience may not be unique to Excel, but the "you must insert columns before cut & paste" is, in my experience, unique to OOo Calc.

Perhaps before cut & paste but drag & drop seems to be different. See Calc's Help under Drag & Drop > Moving Cells. The effect you get depends on the keys you hold down as you release the mouse button - Ctrl, Alt & Shift in different combinations.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England