Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
I have a text that has to be reduced considerably in extent while it is
being edited; I also have to use the change-tracking feature
(Openoffice 3.2, Ubuntu 9.10). I was disheartened to discover that,
after cutting unmercifully, the text seemed to be no shorter.

The thought then occurred that the word count might be including the
deleted words, and this in fact seems to be what is happening. I can
establish the correct figure by saving a copy as plain text (.txt),
confirming that there is no hidden text, and then I consistently get a
lower figure.

I later discovered that in the Openoffice document if I select the whole
text and do a word count, the count for the selection sometimes––but not
always––gives the correct (lower) figure, while the main count does not.

Is this a known fault?

I may be misinterpreting what you are asking, but the OOo Writer Word Count gives two values - 1 for the selected text and one for the whole document. What you seem to be asking concerns "hidden text". First off, I have never come across OOo Writer hiding text ... and how would you know that it was hidden? Second, although of no direct help to you, I can confirm that this does *not* happen using OOo3.2.0 on an up-to-date Debian testing, and has never happened on either Debian or a Slackware version (8.0, 10.0, 10.1) using all releases of OOo since release version 1.*

In short, AFAIK, this is a new issue that I've neither heard about before nor ever experienced. Perhaps there are OOo gurus here who can steer you right. I presume that you have attempted Googling for it?