On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 00:25 +0800, Varun Mittal wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Shouldn't we keep such replies off the list and send them directly to the
> concerned people. Such mails don't add any value for other receivers :(
>
> what say...
>
> I am sorry if someone is offended by my remarks

bg:

No offense taken, Varun, but your statement,

"Such mails don't add any value for other receivers :("

is insufficiently thought through, excessively self-directed,
and just plain wrong. Simply because the reminding reply has
no value to *you* doesn't mean it doesn't have value for others.
I don't know what the current census is for this list - probably
anywhere from a couple of hundred to 1200 - but I am
confident that a bare minimum of 20% of those subscribed have never
bothered to take note of the legend at the bottom giving the
unsubscribe instructions.

If even a handful take the time to read these reminder replies,
that can have the effect of reducing list traffic, over time -
and not only on this one list, but on other lists to which the clueless
ones may be subscribed - since so many elists use this same software.

When you have such an obvious oversight, repeated as bloody often
as it is, any additional amount of education has *some* value.

We should all be willing to attempt to help diminish cluelessness
wherever we encounter it. It adds value for everyone in the long run.

Brewster

Embrace a sharing community of sustainable justice low-carbon diversity