On 08/26/2010 03:29 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
 On 22/08/2010 20:37, AG wrote:
I must say that this seems like a very over involved rigamarole to go through each time I might want to create some watermark text in a document. Is the OOo development team likely to consider making this process more straightforward like it is in MS Office where the option is already hard coded into the interface? This could be added to the OOo menu as an option to the background options of graphic and color.

The thing is, once you have done this and saved the graphic, then you have it for all time and don't need to do it again. It's rather like labels from an address source - a bit fiddly to set up, but once done is set and you don't have to do it again.

I always use a graphic image for a watermark that is so light that it will only print in normal or high-quality modes, but WILL NOT show up if it is copied. I use it as a security device once and a while, with some text saying if the watermark is not
seen, then this is not a valid copy, or something like this.

I also use Watermark text/logos on photos.
I wonder how you could create/add them to photos using OOo's suite.
It is hard to manually make Watermark images with the software I now use
for Ubuntu Linux.  No Photoshop and such that I had used for 5-10 years.
So if OOo's suite could make the image that could be used as a background
image in Writer or Calc, that would be great.

Can DRAW or other OOo option create the Watermark image file easily?
Using it in Writer as a background image works fine for me, even at 6" by 6"
logo sizes.

I am learning GIMP, but there is a lot of options I need to find "filters" and add-ons for and re-learn how to do them in it. Be nice to know OOo's options so I do not need to have one set of skills for Windows and one for Ubuntu/Linux systems. Need that since Ubuntu 10.04 messed up the HP printer driver sets so the color is off on the color laser, where 9.x worked. So I use Ubuntu to create/edit color docs, and use a Win XP laptop to print them. I have to reuse Ubuntu to edit and then reuse Win to print instead of having one suite of software, like OOo, that works on both easily and the same on Win and Linux. GIMP is not easy, so hoping
that OOo might be easier.