On Wednesday 24 August 2005 12:20 pm, Don Guy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What (if anything) can I do to cause a spreadsheet to display
> date-formatted cells in one format, yet accept data entry in another?
>
> In my old copy of Star Office I can set up a column to display dates
> as "MMM DD, YYYY", yet successfully enter date values as YYYY/MM/DD.
>
> Fired up OO for the very first time this morning, and it appears as
> though the only date formats which Calc understands are ones which
> either matche the column format exactly, or are MM/DD/YYYY.  I'm a
> stubborn old fart, and having to re-teach my fingers how to rattle
> off a date value on the number pad in a different format isn't a
> pleasing option.
>

> TIA,
>
> -d.
     It is not as hard as you might think. However, the month, day, and
year that you enter probably needs to be in the same order as the
format for that cell or column. As in your example, having the year
formated last and the entering the year first will not work.
     However, I have done the following in a calc sheet: format column A
as MMM DD, YYYY. I have entered  MM/DD, and it was changed to MMM DD,
2005. I have also entered MM/DD/4, and it was changed to MMM DD, 2004.
     I am curious. Why would you want to have the dates as MMM DD, YYYY
when you are use to working with YYYY/MM/DD?
     I think I have found a very good solution, although it requires
using an extra column. Format Column A with the following user defined
format code: YYYY/MM/DD. Format Column B with this format: MMM DD,
YYYY. Enter this into cell B1:
=value(A1)
Drag the little handle at the bottom right corner of B1 as far down
column B as you need to go. Voila! The second column has the dates as
you want them.

Dan