OOo 2.0.3; Solaris 8, Sun Ultra 30.

I have a master document that I constructed by incorporating [linking to] various sections of various documents. I am trying to get the first page header and all other page headers to conform to First Page and Default, but don't seem to be able to find the magic required.

Firstly, I can't Format=>Page when the cursor is anywhere but in the header. I guess this is to be expected, since the page content is not necessarily attached to a page. I can live with that.

When in the header, though, both Default and First Page have "check marks" in the Insert=>Header menu pick. If I un-check either of these, all headers are removed.

I just want to be able to set a First Page header and a Default header. When I had the document a one single .odt file, all was fine. Now that I've split it into pieces, I can't get my headers to work.

Suggestions?  Pointers? RTFMs?

Thanks,
Donald.

(for those who need more detail, the various documents were created by copying the original .odt [which had ten sections] to blah.1.odt blah.2.odt blah.3.odt ... blah.10.odt I then created a master document. Each section of the master document linked to one of the blah.xx.odt files, which I then edited to only have the relevant section. The master document looked just like I wanted except for the headers. I turned on the headers (Format => Page => Header on) but all pages have the First Page header. If I uncheck either the First Page header or the Default header, all headers disappear.)