I argue that this step is redundant and should not be necessary. Current
sheet should be default print range.

It is bothersome because it is additional non-obvious step and because
regular users tend to forget that they defined range and then wonder why
the heck it does not print. So that is not good from usability point of
view.

Even "Print Range" approach has it's problems: define two ranges - one
on each sheet. How do you print or page preview data from just one
sheet? Or from other sheet that does not have print range defined?

Current behavior might good by forcing user into structuring his/her
work, but that should optional.
So to make my point clear - "Page Preview" should respect "print only
current sheet" setting.