You tried to install the X11User.pkg from your install disk?
Mine, after mounting, had the path:
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg

Is this the one which failed for you? I believe some people have had trouble if
they didn't use the one which came with the Mac, and instead downloaded another
X11 package.

hih,
jeff