David Jaquay wrote:
The short of it: at random times, my document gets reformatted, with
many page breaks added.  Sometimes they go away on their own, while
other times I have to remove a few (and the rest go away on their own.

(snip)

Dave

Try this: go to the Tools menu and select Options. Select OpenOffice.org Writer from the left column, then select the Print option (may need to click on the box with the + sign in it). Under the Other section on the right side of this dialog box, uncheck the print automatically inserted pages option. This may or may not be related to your problem and it may or may not change the page numbering but should get rid of the blank pages when printed if yours is the same problem. I still don't understand why these blank pages are inserted, but there was some discussion about them on this list some time ago.

Carl