Hi Adam,

The problem with replica2 volumes (1 copy on 1 server , 1 on the other) is that
you may be in split-brain easily.
Thus ovirt accepts only replica3 or replica2  arbiter1.

If you have a small system with an SSD , then you can create your arbiter
there. My lab has a Lenovo M-series for an arbiter.

Guster (not talking about Glusterd2 here) will very soon support another
feature called remote arbiter which will allow you to bring an arbiter in the
cloud (or any other remote destination) and the latency will not cause any
issues.

Keep in mind that due to the nature of linux bonding/teaming it's better to
have high bandwidth NIC vs multiple small ones ( 2 NICs x 10 gbit/s brings
better performance  vs 20 NICs x 1 gbit/s ).

So, you need a 3rd node - no matter locally (regular arbiter or a full replica
) or remotely (remote arbiter).

Of course for testing, you can still setup gluster (manually) in a replica2
volumes and use oVirt ability to use POSIX-compliant FS . This type of setup
will not be supported and you won't be able to use the UI but you can still
explore the oVirt project.

Best Regards,