On Thursday 24 March 2005 19:36, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 24 March 2005 13:58, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>SA does not allow running it as 'root' user. It is considered a
>> security risk. SA files also should not be in 'root' user folder.
>> Should be in something like /var/filter/.spamassassin  (filter
>> being the name of the user)

The point being that under those conditions, root doesn't have any
filtering.  So, I located that section of code in /usr/bin/spamd, and
commented it out.  I believe its now working.  Locking root out of
using a valuable tool just to try and convince that user not to run
as root isn't security IMO, its excessive paranoia.  That piece of
the code should be wrapped in a config file option, and then forget
to document the option maybe.  In that case, someone with enough
smarts to read the code can figure it out.

My converting to run as other than root here would be a virtual wipe
it and reinstall of a nearly 70 GB system.  Thats not going to happen
barring a major hardware failure.  And I have good backups so I'd
recover rather than reinstall anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)