One stupid suggestion is to run the tomcat inside an environment like
eclipse
with an eclipse plugin like sysdeo. Then stress the webapplication.
When, it 'hangs'
issue a 'pause' inside the tomcat jvm, and explore the various threads.

Search for 2 kinds of locks:
- non returning http-thread leading in emptying the http response thread
pool, this
thread is use to process the request, so if i put while(1)
Thread.sleep(200000); inside
a servlet i can easily run out of Threads.
- non returning connections to connection pool. This one is more tricky,
i'll notice
lots of threads in object.wait() having a stack comming from commons dbcp.

you can try to activate automatic returning of inactive (more than 5
minutes?) connection
to the connection pool in tomcat configuration, but this doens really
solve problem,
it just help prevent final deadlock.