Hi Chuck,

Ok, I changed my context file from gridsphere.xml to portal.xml. However it still does not work. As I said, I do NOT want to change the name of my web application. It is currently located in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/gridsphere. Previously my understanding of the path and docBase elements is to provide a mapping between the context path I wish users to use e.g. "http://localhost:8080/portal"; and the actual location of the web application within the webapps directory e.g. $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/gridsphere. From what you're telling me it sounds like I am now forced to rename my web application to portal AND rename my context file from gridsphere.xml to portal.xml. Is there any other way? And if so what should my context file look like to do this?

   Thanks, Jason

The name of the .xml file containing the <Context> element determines
the name of the webapp.  As I said before, the path attribute must not
be used unless your <Context> element is in conf/server.xml, and that is
strongly discouraged.  The docBase attribute merely specifies the
location of the webapp files - it has nothing to do with the path; it
should be used when the webapp files are not under Tomcat's webapps
directory.

If you want to call your application "portal" instead of "gridsphere"
simply put the <Context> element in conf/Catalina/localhost/portal.xml;
remember not to put things in more than one place, since the precedence
order is not defined by the spec and the container is under no
obligation to follow any particular overriding scheme.

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.