Thanks a lot for your reply.

I set the values directly in my registry, restarted Tomcat and voilá:
runtime.totalMemory now gives the increased -Xms value after startup.

With kind regards,
Harald Henkel

Jost Richstein schrieb:
These settings are stored in the r egistry if you are running Tomcat
as windows service. Usually you have a small applet installed that
allows you to edit the setttings. If do not see the applet, try to
execute

   <Tomcat>\bin\tomcat5w.exe" //ES//TomcatServiceName

where "TomcatServiceName" is your Windows Servicename for
Tomcat.

Harald Henkel wrote:
Hello everybody.

How can I increase the memory Tomcat/Java is using?

I tried setting CATALINA_OPTS with -server -Xms256m -Xmx512m
but runtime.totalMemory always seems to return a value around 60MB.

And there are some operations (exporting several thousand database records to an Excel file) where we receive out of memory errors. Unfortunately I don't yet know the exact error text and where it is displayed...

Yet, if the server (including database) is rebootet it works, so it seems to be a problem with Tomcat (oracle doesn't seem to have a problem, because the data is already dispalyed in a table genereated by tomcat (JSP).
Only if I try to export this data to an exel file, the problem arised.

This is on Windows XP Pro SP2.

Anybody got an idea? Can this be due to Tomcat memory management? How to change it correctly on windows ?

Somewhere I saw -ms and -mx insead of -Xms and -Xmx

Any help appreciated!

With kind regards,
Harald Henkel