Humm.  I don't think this is how the certificate system is supposed to be
used.  The intention is that the truststore handles certificates authorities
you trust.

For an example, let's switch to the browser.

Browsers generally trust Verisgn and Thwart out of the box.  You can see
these certificates in your browser's options pages.

So, let's say you go to amazon.com.  Amazon will have a certificate that was
created for them by, say, Verisign.  Your browser will get the amazon
certificate and see that it was created by verisign.  Since your browser
already trusts verisign, it will trust that amazon is who it says it is.
(Verifying identity is the certificate's primary function.)

Tomcat works the same way.  So, in your case, maybe you want to create your
own certificate and put it into your truststore.  Then, as you create
certificates for other's, you create them based on the certificate you
loaded into your truststore.  Since Tomcat already trusts this one, all the
certificates you create and give to others will also be trusted...no
reconfiguration necessary.

Mark

Some helpful links:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/selfsign.html