I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the possibility of a mistake
that big at this point! There are 20 programmers on this project at this
point and almost all of them are architects with many years of experience.
Wicket is being used by many thousands of users on hundreds if not thousands
of projects. We used it at a venture funded startup called thoof to create a
fully scalable website with benchmarks you can read about here:

http://blog.thoof.com/index.php/geekery/build-to-scale-our-web-architecture/

I know of several Fortune 500 companies using Wicket and even one website
with millions of users that is converting to Wicket to save on maintenance
costs.

While Wicket is not stateless, it is quite efficient for a stateful
framework with an excellent programming model. My expectation is that
stateful frameworks with good programming models will win in the end. Even
today, Wicket applications spend most of their time waiting for databases
and services. As hardware improves, this equation will only favor Wicket
more and more.